The Somerville Hotel & Tides Restaurant are excited to offer the role of Head Chef in our recently refurbished Sea View restaurant Tides.
Tides is open all-year round, and offers breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and room service as well as the occasional function.
Since the refurbishment, Tides has become one of Jersey’s best-loved restaurants. We are looking for someone with long-term ambitions with the company, who wants to help us develop the brand together – A talented, enthusiastic and self-motivated professional with a passion for food, providing first class guest care and a keen eye for detail.
The right candidate will have previous experience as a head chef in a four or five-star Hotel environment, and must be a friendly, approachable, knowledgeable and passionate person, and an inspirational leader .
In a nutshell...
“Alongside menu development, tastings and flexing your creative and culinary muscles, the role will be to manage the kitchen and the kitchen team.
This includes maintaining the standard of each section, including hygiene, waste etc.., but also getting the best out of your team and helping others develop their potential.
Head chefs have been stayed with us for decades, and we’re looking for more of the same to help us build on their achievements.”
Main Duties and Areas of Accountability:
- To ensure that mise-en-place is prepared on time, making sure that everything is cleared away promptly and efficiently to start the following service.
- To ensure that every section is covered for the daily business.
- Ensuring there is a rota drawn up for the following week, ensuring there is enough staff on for busy periods and all areas are covered.
- To be responsible for and assist all chefs during the working day.
- To be responsible for ensuring that the layout of any hot/cold food in the restaurant is kept to the set standard.
- To be able to work and train in any section of the kitchen.
- To maintain the smooth running of the kitchen.
- To train all trainees in the kitchen to specific standards as set out in Standard Operating Procedure manual.
- To ensure that all dishes are cleanly presented to specific standard.
- To be responsible for all food ordering for the daily business and stock control ensuring stock rotation is in practice.
- To maintain and improve all HACCP procedures and food hygiene ratings
- To ensure that all fridges and areas at the end of each service are kept clean, tidy and hygienic without incurring waste.
- Responsible for ensuring that wastage is kept to a minimum during preparations and that all food is used to the maximum.
- To manage all costs associated with the department to work within the guidelines provided.
- Any other duties as may be reasonably requested by management
In return you will be offered a fun, relaxed and enjoyable working environment with some of the best sea views imaginable. Competitive packages, friendly, inspirational and experienced management team. Reasonably priced live in accommodation and meals available. Very low Tax. Great weather and beaches. Easy access to France and the other Channel Islands.
Please view our website for full details but in brief, we’re a 59 bedroom, 4 Gold star costal, country house hotel sitting in an elevated position, enjoying fabulous sea views over the south coast of sunny Jersey. Jersey is the largest of the five main Channel Islands and lies approximately 10 miles from the north coast of France. It enjoys fabulous weather and is surrounded by 45 miles of pristine coastline. Visit the Visit Jersey website for more details and images.
LOW TAX – LIVE IN ACCOMODATION – THREE MEALS PER DAY – GREAT WEATHER – GREAT BEACHES – GREAT VIEWS – FUN WORKING ENVIRONMENT – FIVE DAY WORKING WEEK – FUN – FRIENDLY – COMPETITIVE PACKAGE